Canfor opens 2 pellet mills in British Columbia
Canfor Corp. recently celebrated the opening of its two new pellet plants collocated at sawmill sites in Chetwynd and Fort St. John near Vancouver, British Columbia. The Chetwynd plant has the capacity to produce 100,000 metric tons per year, while the Fort St. John facility can produce 75,000 metric tons annually.
The pellet plants primarily source sawmill residue from the adjacent sawmills as feedstock. A portion of feedstock is also sourced from the open market and other Canfor sawmilling operations.
The Chetwynd facility has a 3 MW combined-heat-and-power (CHP) unit. Approximately 20 percent of the heat from the system is used to generate an estimated 21,000 MWh of electricity annually. The remaining 80 percent is used to dry sawdust prior to its use as a feedstock for pellet production.