Print

Doosan progresses with biomass conversion in Korea

By Erin Voegele | November 18, 2016

Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction is converting the Korea-based Yeongdong Thermal Power Plant Unit 1 to biomass. Doosan was contracted by Korea South-East Power to complete the project in November 2015. The conversion is currently underway, with completion scheduled for spring 2017 and first fire expected just after the new year. The original 125 MW capacity of the facility is being maintained. 

Once the conversion is complete, the unit will be able to burn up to 100 percent coal or 100 percent biomass, with 95 percent of that being wood pellets and the remaining 5 percent being wood chips or palm kernel shells (PKS), said Graham Welford, sales director at Doosan Babcock.

According to Welford, upgrades being made to the unit include fuel-handling changes that are required to handle biomass, along with a step change in safety equipment compared to coal. “In the boiler house, we have replaced the coal mills, added new burners, PF piping and combustion systems because the old anthracite firing system based on tube ball mills was inappropriate for biomass,” he added.